Saturday, December 9, 2017

William Tell, Act 3 scene 1



ACT THREE





Scene One





The interior of a ruined chapel, in the grounds of
the Governor's palace at Altdorf





MATHILDE
Arnold, what's the cause of this despair?
Is that the tender farewell
I was hoping to hear?
You are leaving, but soon we shall be able to see
each other again?





ARNOLD
No, I stay where a terrible duty chains me;
I stay to avenge my father.





MATHILDE
What are you hoping for?





ARNOLD
It is blood I hope for.
I renounce the favours of fate,
I renounce all that I love,
glory, you yourself!...





MATHILDE
Me, Melchthal!





ARNOLD
My father is dead;
he has fallen beneath the murderous sword.





MATHILDE
God!





ARNOLD
Do you know who directed the steel?





MATHILDE
Ah, I shudder! Go on!





ARNOLD
Your consternation has named him: Gessler!





MATHILDE
Gessler!
All hope for our love is over
when my life has scarcely begun,
all hope for our love, etc.
I lose my happiness for ever, for ever!
Yes, Melchthal, a barbarian's
crime separates us,
my wandering reason
has understood your grief.
My wandering reason, etc.
Braving the servitude of fate,
in vain have I given you my faith;
what loneliness in my court!
You will no longer be near me.
Finally, to complete my misery,
a crime deprives you of a father
and I cannot mourn him with you,
and I cannot mourn him with you!
A crime deprives you, etc.
Destiny, despite your rage,
this sad heart
will always preserve the image
of my liberator.
Destiny, despite your rage, etc.





ARNOLD
What noise reaches my ear?
Singing! Shouts!





MATHILDE
Gessler rouses himself.





ARNOLD
Daylight returns him to his crimes.





MATHILDE
Alas, these songs announce
the preparations for a warlike festival.
Flee from the Governor's palace,
flee from the Governor's palace,
his joy is always deadly;
flee, if ever I was dear to you!





ARNOLD
I, flee! I, flee!





MATHILDE
If upon the foreign shore
I cannot offer to your misery
my consoling attentions,
my soul follows you completely,
it is faithful to your misfortunes.
My soul follows you, etc.





ARNOLD
These songs drown your prayer!
Their joy insults my griefs!
Do you hear them? Do you hear them?





MATHILDE
Ah, take pity on my tears!
Flee, if ever I was dear to you!





ARNOLD
I, flee! I, flee!





MATHILDE
If upon the foreign shore, etc.
And think -





ARNOLD
I think of my father!





MATHILDE
By renouncing our love
we give him more than our lives.
Farewell, Melchthal! Farewell, Melchthal!
Farewell, it is for ever!
Ah, think -





ARNOLD
I think of my father!





MATHILDE
By renouncing our love, etc.
...it is for ever!





ARNOLD
By renouncing my love, etc.
...it is for ever!
By renouncing my love
I give him more than my life.
Farewell, Mathilde! Farewell, it is for ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment